“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

Tuesday 23 August 2011

UNC!

Hi!

So today was my first day of classes - I am taking 4 papers or 'courses' as they call them here because a 'paper' is an essay. Two linguistics, one communications and one american studies. It was a very tiring day but good to get started. It seems like I will not be able to miss classes as they have an attendance roll and also laptops are banned from 3 of my 4 classes as they like people to be 'mentally prepared'.

My first class was communications - making and manipulating race in the USA. It is mostly about black culture and seems like it will be quite interesting - the workload doesn't seem much more than what I would do at home for that one.

American Studies was an American food culture class and this one seems pretty sweet too - an assignment is going to the Farmer's market and checking out the food there. I also have to cook a dish and present it to the class so I might cook the good old NZ pav - might need a recipe Mum!!

Linguistics was my last class of the day - this was by far the hardest.. I have an exam on Tuesday on basic phonetics.. I can't remember anything so I will have to do a bit of study.. lame. My other linguistics class is tomorrow and I have homework to do before it even starts!

So even though I have lots of work throughout the semester I don't have exams or my exams are worth 5% or something ridiculous!

I have spent my time at UNC by the pool mostly so I don't have tooooo much to update on.. except new tan lines.

I am off to dinner with my mentor and some of her friends tonight so that should be good fun.

Sorry for the boring post!! Holiday is now over for sure! :(

Here are some pics of the uni, it is a very pretty campus with lots of trees and old buildings.

 This is a group from my floor outside the library
 Walking to the "pit" which is where the student store and central part of campus is
 The wishing well where you drink out of for good luck on classes - we didn't do this today however as seniors abuse and waterbomb any freshman or transfers that try and do it - sounds familiar to dunedin!
 Lecture theatres are on the outside of the grass in this area
 Amanda and I
Real Life Role Play... no joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment